Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Personal Stache

This is my humble story about my mustache or lack thereof. Let us start with the basics and history. I am a 23 year old man. That is about as basic as it gets. When I was in 7th grade I had friends already growing facial hair. I am sure you had some friends as well. I remember thinking they looked funny, but I was reminded not to make fun of them because once I get into high school I would have to shave as well.

High school comes around, still no facial hair. Everybody else  looks cool because they have scruff and of course all the girls like the scruffy look, but not baby faced Shawn. 

Let's fast forward, I am 19 and getting ready to go on a mission for my church. By then, everybody has facial hair. When you go and return from your 2 year mission you are to become a man.  One of the rules of my mission was to shave daily, I broke that rule everyday, because I didn't have facial hair to shave. 21 years old and I return home from my mission and I now shave my peach fuzz maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks. 

In anticipation for my beard and mustache, I do the whole shebang. I get out the shaving cream and lather my face. I then turn on the hot water and place my razor in the running water to get it wet. I then take the razor and proceed to mimic shaving my non-existent facial hair. It has almost become ritualistic, in hopes of one day having a real shaving experience.  

I am often questioned if I am some where in my teens, 14 being the lowest,

My friend and I last year decided that we wanted to do "No Shave November". I agreed to this idea, but luckily we talked about our idea in September so that I could begin a month early. I started October 1, 2013. November came around and my mustache was small. My wife encouraged me not to shave it and keep it till Christmas time because I looked manly. I finally caved due to embarrassment and it's creepy look on me and shaved it on December 30th, 2013

It really wasn't that long, this is what my mustache looked like after growing it out from October 1 to December 30th  at the age of 23 years old.
And yes the left side of my mustache grows in thicker than my right side. (your right, my left)

My wife likes facial hair but I cannot provide her with that, so to all the women who complain that their husband doesn't shave or to the men that complain about having to shave, consider yourselves lucky and be grateful for what you have.  And to my fellow baby faced friends, stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment